Recent Goings-On

Saturday morning, fenced in the annual Santa Fe Challenge. Because of the experience level needed to referee foil — and the expense that goes along with bringing in experienced referees — it was decided that it'd be an all-epee event, unlike last year. Registration closed at 9:00 for the open epee, so you just needed to be there before; it's at least 20 minutes more. One of the young fencers, upon seeing me at 8:55, in my sweats, with my coffee, watching everyone else fully geared up and warming up on the strips asked, "aren't you competing today?"

Kind of a legitimate question, based on how the day went. Two wins out of six in the pools; in the direct elimination round, drew one of the kids I'd already lost to. Good and/or bad news — because I did know what to expect, though it would've been nice to fence someone new. So I knew what not to do … but it took me a while to figure out what to do. By the time I'd worked that out, I was down 10-3. Fought back to lose 15-11; problem was, he had enough of a cushion that he could just go for the double-touch, and even with a moderate success rate, still win. It was a well-fought and fun bout, though. Final standings here.

Meanwhile, because it was a little cool and cloudy, Monica had walked Cheyenne over to Teca Tu at Sanbusco Center for the monthly GCNM adoption clinic. Turnout was a little lighter than usual, and there weren't as many passersby; but those that did stop by were awfully generous, so we came away with some welcome funds.

Cheyenne, as usual, kind of sacked out, eventually just sliding onto the floor and losing her bed to her buddy Fifi.

Sunday, we collected a couple of our friends and went Albuquerque for the Albuquerque Collectors Con where 7000 BC had a table. But half the real point of attending any con is a big, unhealthy diner breakfast beforehand — so we gathered with the whole bunch at The Owl Cafe.

Con went well, better than last year's, even though it was smaller. With a whole pile of us there and not much space, there was plenty of visiting and socializing. We left in time to make it back home to sit outside in the Adirondacks — our first chance to do that this year. Once we gave Cheyenne the big bone we'd bought a few weeks back, we pretty much ceased to exist.

Tuesday night, after fencing and dropping the car at the mechanic's, went to Counter Culture where J. had helped organize a fundraiser dinner on behalf of The Vietnam Project. Turned out to be a great success, and we got to visit with J+J, meet some other new folks, with, as it turns out, several shared interests and experiences.

And Counter Culture allows dogs on their patio.

Last night, despite the threatening-looking clouds, kicked off grillin' burger season. James came over and brought along Shadow for Cheyenne's first experience being a host. Went well enough — Cheyenne wanted to chase Shadow around the yard, or maybe just run frantically. Shadow was mostly game for playing, though.

They were, of course, both game for snacks.

Oh, hey, look how this turned into yet another post about the dog.

Umm, well, the lunch cart reviews from our appearance last week on Mouth of Wonder are now posted

Bob and Claire due into town tomorrow …

OK, one last bit from Cheyenne (and Gary Larson): take time to stop and eat the flowers.


Raphael Della Ratta said...

So, is that like the first dollar ever made taped to the back there? And was that dollar made at The Track, or from panhandling?

Bram said...

Those are "silks" made by the adoption clinic organizer. She's got three that get passed around to the dogs with a dollar in little clear pockets in the side -- in the hopes that people will add a few more.

As noted, we had some pretty generous donors this time. Proceeds go to offset the medical expenses and fostering costs, as well as to the new Greyhome project.